Circles - Terms
The Terms and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with it or its subject matter (including non-contractual disputes or claims) shall be governed by and construed in accordance with Delaware law. In the event there is a discrepancy between this English language version and any translated copies of the Website Terms and Conditions, the English version shall prevail.
Hello. You should read these terms and conditions in full because they apply every time you visit Circles. However, just in case you ever need a reminder of the main points, here’s a quick summary:
- If you are under the age of 18 then unfortunately you can’t use Circles yet because it’s a group forming and contact exchange tool for adults only.
- We’re not responsible for anything that you post or say while you are on Circles and we don’t monitor the content of the site, but if we do see or someone alerts us that you have posted something that we think is inappropriate then we are allowed at our discretion to remove it.
- If you post any content that actually belongs to someone else and they get annoyed (or even call in their lawyers), we are not in the firing line. You have to take responsibility for what you post.
The full legal bit
Circles is a website and app designed as a group forming and contact exchange tool, and can be used as a place to start discussions and to share photos, news and information. It is intended to be a productive place to visit and it is important to us (and for you) that it remains a safe and friendly environment so you agree that you will only use Circles in a manner consistent with its purpose and which is in accordance with these terms and conditions (the “Terms”).
The Terms constitute a binding legal agreement between you as user (“you”) and Circles inc., a Delaware company (“we” or “us”) of www.Circles.io (together with affiliated websites and applications, “Circles”). Circles inc. collaborates with other companies within the Circles group from time to time, in order to facilitate the delivery of content to you and to collect payments.
The Terms apply whenever you visit Circles, whether or not you have chosen to register with us, so please read them carefully. By accessing, using, registering for or receiving services offered on Circles (the “Services”) you are accepting and agreeing to be bound by the Terms.
IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT AND AGREE TO THE TERMS THEN YOU MUST NOT ACCESS OR USE THE APP OR SITE.
1. Use of the app and site and rules relating to content
Who can use Circles?
Circles is a group forming and contact exchange tool for adults. You may only use and become a registered member of Circles if you are 18 years old or older (or the age of majority in the country in which you reside if that happens to be greater than 18).
You warrant that you have the right, authority and capacity to enter into and be bound by the Terms and that by using Circles you will not be violating any law or regulation of the country in which you are resident. You are solely responsible for your compliance with all applicable local laws and regulations.
You further warrant that you have not been convicted of, nor are subject to any court order relating to assault, violence, sexual misconduct or harassment.
What kind of content can I post on Circles?
You are able to post all kinds of things on Circles, including photographs, contact information, social media links, messages and other content (“Content”).
There are some rules about what is acceptable though, so when you are using Circles you may not post or send any Content which:
- Contains expletives or language which could be deemed offensive or is likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person;
- Is obscene, pornographic or otherwise may offend human dignity;
- Is abusive, insulting or threatening, or which promotes or encourages racism, sexism, hatred or bigotry;
- Encourages any illegal activity including, without limitation, terrorism, inciting racial hatred or the submission of which in itself constitutes committing a criminal offence;
- Is defamatory;
- Relates to commercial activities (including, without limitation, sales, competitions and advertising, links to other websites or premium line telephone numbers);
- Involves the transmission of “junk” mail or “spam”;
- Contains any spyware, adware, viruses, corrupt files, worm programmes or other malicious code designed to interrupt, damage or limit the functionality of or disrupt any software, hardware, telecommunications, networks, servers or other equipment, Trojan horse or any other material designed to damage, interfere with, wrongly intercept or expropriate any data or personal information whether from Circles or otherwise;
- Itself, or the posting of which, infringes any third party’s rights (including, without limitation, intellectual property rights and privacy rights); or
- Shows another person which was created or distributed without that person’s consent.
- Deceive others to think that you are someone else than who you really are.
Please use your common sense when picking the Content that you choose to post on or send via Circles because you are solely responsible for, and bear all liability in relation to, such Content.
Are there any rules relating to personal information like my email address?
If you choose to reveal any personal information about yourself to other users, whether through the app, via email or otherwise, it is at your own risk. We encourage you to use the same caution in disclosing details about yourself to third parties online as you would under any other circumstances.
What about other people’s personal information, can I use it?
You may only use other Circles user’s personal information to the extent that your use of it matches Circles’ purpose of allowing people to meet one another. You may not use other users' information for commercial purposes, to spam, to harass, or to make unlawful threats. Circles reserves the right to terminate your account if you misuse other users' information.
Your login account detail
Only you are authorised to access your account with Circles. You must not share your login details with anyone or let anyone else access your account as this jeopardises the security of all of the Content and personal information that you have submitted to Circles. You are responsible for keeping your login details secret and secure. If you don’t, Circles is not liable for any unauthorised access to your account. If you suspect that someone has gained access to your account, you must let us know immediately by visiting [email protected] and telling us of your suspicions or concerns. You must also immediately change your login details. Circles reserves the right to terminate your account if you violate our rules on keeping your login details secure.
Who can see the Content that I put on Circles?
When you upload Content to Circles it may be accessed and viewed by anyone you share your card with, and anyone they invite to join a circle with you. If you do not want such Content to be viewed by others, then you should not upload it to Circles. We reserve the right (without obligation) at our sole discretion and without giving you notice, to remove or edit, limit or block access to any Content that you upload or submit to Circles without any incurring liability to you. We have no obligation to display any Content that you submit to Circles, nor to check the accuracy or truthfulness of any Content submitted to Circles, nor to monitor your use or the use of other users of Circles.
2. Ownership of Content
Once I have uploaded Content on Circles, do I still own it?
Yes (provided you are the rightful owner in the first place — please see our other rules regarding posting Content that doesn’t belong to you).
Please note though that by posting or sending Content on Circles you represent and warrant to us that you have the right to do so, and automatically grant to us a nonexclusive, royalty free, perpetual, worldwide licence to use such Content in any way (including, without limitation, editing, copying, modifying, adapting, translating, reformatting, creating derivative works from, incorporating into other works, advertising, distributing and otherwise making available to the general public such Content, whether in whole or in part and in any format or medium currently known or developed in the future).
We may assign and/or sub-licence the above licence to our affiliates and successors without any further approval by you.
By submitting Content to Circles you are warranting that you are the exclusive author and owner of that Content and you agree that you waive any and all moral rights relating to that Content (including, without limitation, the right to be identified as the author).
We have the right to disclose your identity to any third party who is claiming that any Content posted or uploaded by you to our app or site constitutes a violation of their intellectual property rights or of their right to privacy or any other law.
Who does the rest of the Content on Circles belong to then?
Us! All text, graphics, user interfaces, trademarks, logos, sounds and artwork on Circles are owned, controlled or licensed by us and are protected by copyright, trademark and other intellectual property law rights.
Can I use any of the Content that doesn’t belong to me?
Other than in relation to Content submitted by you to Circles, you do not have any rights in relation to the Content on Circles and you agree that you will not use any Content in any manner which may infringe any third party’s rights. Without limitation to the foregoing, this means that you agree that you will not copy, modify, adapt, distribute, publish or sell all or any part of the Circles site or the Content contained on it (other than the Content submitted by you) to anyone else.
3. Access to the app and site
Do you guarantee that Circles will be up and running at all times?
Unfortunately we can’t guarantee that because sometimes we have to carry out maintenance to the app or site or they may be affected by a fault or circumstances which are outside our control, so Circles is provided on an “as is” basis. No warranty is given about the quality, accuracy, functionality, availability or performance of Circles and we reserve the right to suspend, withdraw, amend, modify or vary the service provided on Circles without notice and without incurring any liability to you.
What about mobile access?
You are responsible for making all the necessary arrangements to ensure you can access Circles (including, but not limited to Internet provider and mobile internet provider fees and, any other charges associated with such access). We shall not be held responsible for any reduced functionality you may encounter as result of or in connection with accessing Circles through mobile services or any similar service currently known or developed in the future.
By accessing Circles or agreeing to receive messages or notifications from Circles through your mobile phone and/or any other meet media device, you accept that you may incur charges from your internet or mobile service provider. We shall not under any circumstances be liable for such charges.
I’m not registered and I can’t seem to access some Content on the app or site. Why is that?
Non-registered users are able to access only that portion of Circles that is publicly available. They will not have a Card or the ability to upload Content. The extent of registered users’ access to Circles will depend on certain criteria relating to their card being met. We may change or update the criteria from time to time without prior notice and at our discretion.
4. Termination of use by us
My Card has disappeared and I can’t log in. What’s going on?
Sometimes people forget about the Terms and post Content or act in a way while on Circles which is not consistent with the purpose of the app or site. If we think that you may be one of those people, then we reserve the right at our sole discretion, at any time and without liability or the need to give you prior notice or to refund any unused services to:
- Suspend or revoke your registration (where applicable) and your right to access and/or use Circles or submit any Content to Circles; and
- Make use of any operational, technological, legal, or other means available to enforce the Terms (including without limitation blocking specific IP addresses).
5. Termination of use by you
If you have registered on Circles, you can terminate your registration at any time by deleting all your cards and asking us to delete your card. We save your card information in case you later decide to restore your account. Many users deactivate their accounts for temporary reasons and in doing so expect us to maintain their information until they return to Circles. You may therefore be able to restore your account and your card in its entirety within 30 days of de-activating it. Once your registration is terminated, we have the right to delete any related Content that you have submitted or uploaded onto Circles. For further details, please refer to our
Content that you have uploaded to Circles, other than your card (such as comments or email messages), may still appear on Circles following termination of your registration.
Someone is not obeying the Terms, who do I tell?
You can report any abuse or complain about Content on Circles by contacting us via [email protected], outlining the abuse and or complaint.
Please note that we have no control over the contents of any third party sites or resources, and we accept no responsibility for them, including (but not limited to) the third party site’s compliance with any applicable laws or regulations.
9. Disclaimer of warranties and limitation of liability
If you act in a way that upsets other users then you have to be responsible for the consequences. We expressly disclaim any and all responsibility and liability for your conduct or the conduct of any other user of Circles, and expressly disclaim any liability for Content uploaded by you or by any other user.
Nothing in the Terms limits or excludes our liability for:
- Death or personal injury caused by our proven negligence; or
- Any liability which cannot be limited or excluded by law.
- All conditions, representations, warranties and other terms which might otherwise be implied by statute, common law or the law of equity; and
- Any liability incurred by you arising from use of Circles, its services or these terms and conditions, including without limitation for any claims, charges, demands, damages, liabilities, losses or expenses of whatever nature and howsoever direct, indirect, incidental, special, exemplary, punitive or consequential damages (however arising including negligence), loss of use, loss of data, loss caused by a computer or electronic virus, loss of income or profit, loss of or damage to property, wasted management or office time, breach of contract or claims of third parties or other losses of any kind or character, even if Circles has been advised of the possibility of such damages or losses, arising out of or in connection with the use of Circles. This limitation on liability applies to, but is not limited to, the transmission of any disabling device or virus that may infect your equipment, failure or mechanical or electrical equipment or communication lines, telephone or other interconnect problems (e.g., you cannot access your internet service provider), unauthorized access, theft, bodily injury (other than caused by our negligence), property damage, operator errors, strikes or other labor problems or any act of god in connection with Circles including, without limitation, any liability for loss of revenue or income, loss of profits or contracts, loss of business, loss of anticipated savings, loss of goodwill, loss of data, wasted management or office time and any other loss or damage of any kind, however arising and whether caused by tort (including, but not limited to, negligence), breach of contract or otherwise, even if foreseeable whether arising directly or indirectly.
If we are sued as a result of your use of Circles then we have the right to defend or settle the relevant claim as we see fit. If we ask, you will co-operate fully and reasonably as required by us in the defence of any relevant claim.
You agree to hold harmless and indemnify us and our officers, directors, employees, agents, representatives and licensors from and against any third party claims, damages (actual and/or consequential), actions, proceedings, demands, losses, liabilities, costs and expenses (including reasonable solicitor’s fees) suffered or reasonably incurred by us arising as a result of, or in connection with, your access to and use of Circles, the uploading or submission of Content to Circles by you or your conduct, other than in accordance with the Terms or any applicable law or regulation (“Claim”). Circles retains the exclusive right to settle, compromise and pay any and all Claims or causes of action which are brought against us without your prior consent.
Circles has taken reasonable steps to ensure the currency, availability, correctness and completeness of the information contained on Circles and provides that information on an "as is", "as available" basis. Circles does not give or make any warranty or representation of any kind about the information contained on Circles, whether express or implied. Use of Circles and the materials available on it is at your sole risk. Circles cannot be held responsible for any loss arising from the transmission, use of data, or inaccurate Content posted by users. You are responsible for taking all necessary precautions to ensure that any material you may obtain from Circles is free of viruses or other harmful components. You accept that Circles will not be provided uninterrupted or error free, that defects may not be corrected or that Circles, or the server that makes it available, are free of viruses or bugs, spyware, Trojan horses or any similar malicious software. Circles is not responsible for any damage to your computer hardware, computer software, or other equipment or technology including, but without limitation damage from any security breach or from any virus, bugs, tampering, fraud, error, omission, interruption, defect, delay in operation or transmission, computer line or network failure or any other technical or other malfunction.
We reserve the right to modify, amend or change the Terms at any time (a “Change”). If we do this then the Changes will be posted on this page and we will indicate the effective date of the updates at the bottom of the Terms. In certain circumstances, we may send an email to you notifying you of any Change. You should regularly check this page to take notice of any Changes.
If you do not accept any Change to the Terms, you should stop using Circles immediately. Your continued use of Circles following any Change constitutes your acceptance of the Change and you will be legally bound by the new updated Terms.
If, for any reason, any of the Terms are declared to be illegal, invalid or otherwise unenforceable by a court of a competent jurisdiction, then to the extent that term is illegal, invalid or unenforceable, it shall be severed and deleted from the Terms and the remainder of the Terms shall survive, remain in full force and effect and continue to be binding and enforceable.
The Terms set out the entire agreement and understanding between us and you in relation to your use of Circles and supersedes all previous agreements, representations and arrangements between us (either oral or written). Nothing in this clause shall limit or exclude any liability for fraudulent misrepresentation.
No failure or delay by us in exercising any right, power or privilege under the Terms shall operate as a waiver of such right or acceptance of any variation of the Terms and nor shall any single or partial exercise by either party of any right, power or privilege preclude any further exercise of that right or the exercise of any other right, power or privilege.
Nothing in the Terms shall confer or purport to confer on any other third party, any benefit or the right to enforce any term of the Terms and the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 shall not apply to the Terms.
www.circles.io is an app and site owned and operated by Circles inc.. We are registered in Delaware and our office is in Los Altos, California, USA, where Circles Inc. is doing business as circles.io.
The Terms were last updated on: April 4, 2016